This Blog Talks About…
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new implantable device that could replace older models on the market today.
- The new device is called the Senza spinal cord stimulation system, and it delivers high-frequency electrical pulses to the spine with low stimulation amplitudes.
- The pain management specialists at American Spine provide information on the new spinal cord stimulator for chronic pain management.
Spinal cord stimulators on the market today produce a tingling sensation called paresthesia, which is meant to mask pain. Although these spinal cord stimulators can be beneficial for some chronic pain patients, this technology isn’t the most reliable when it comes to controlling pain symptoms.
Much like traditional devices, the Senza device delivers electrical pulses through small electrodes placed around the spinal cord. The difference between these two technologies’ is their range of frequencies. The Senza device delivers higher frequencies of electrical pulses in the range of 10K Hz, whereas the older, more traditional models deliver lower frequencies. This new spinal cord stimulator has been approved for the use of chronic pain in the back or limbs, as well as pain associated with failed back surgery.
According to a report published in Youth Health Magazine, test subjects of the new device experienced the following:
- 75% of participants reported a 50% reduction in pain after 3 months.
- This same group of participants reported a 55% reduction in pain at 12 months.
The implantation process for the Senza device will be similar to that of traditional models. Meaning, A temporary device will be inserted to ensure the device works for the patient before a permanent one can be surgery implanted. Although the system is already available in Europe and Australia, it could be some time before Americans have access to the system. Talk to the pain management specialists at American Spine about the Senza device and whether or not you’re a candidate for the spinal cord stimulator.
At American Spine, we are dedicated to treating chronic pain and spine conditions. Offering the latest in minimally invasive spine surgery and other effective treatment options, American Spine is the leading pain physician group of California. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call us at (951)-734-PAIN (7246).
The advice and information contained in this article is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to replace or counter a physician’s advice or judgment. Please always consult your physician before taking any advice learned here or in any other educational medical material.